TEXT OR TALK
Text and phone counseling is available from 3 PM – 10 PM every single day. Text us about whatever is on your mind. We’re ready to talk!
Text Services are made possible by the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham and United Way of Central Alabama.
UTalk Youth Line for Teens
What is UTalk Youth Line?
UTalk Youth Line is a text enabled youth hotline available 7 days a week for children aged 6 – 18. UTalk gives young people of Central Alabama a safe, supportive place to process feelings and life events – large and small – when faced with challenging issues and uncertainty.
If I call or text, who will talk with me?
Most UTalk Youth Line counselors are high school or college age. All volunteers are trained crisis counselors.
How can I be assured that I will remain anonymous?
As a condition of becoming a counselor at the Crisis Center, all of our counselors must agree to the Crisis Center’s caller confidentiality policy.
What can I discuss with a counselor?
Anything. Typical topics include Dating, Friends, Relationships, Family, Drugs, Alcohol, Sex, Depression, Self-Image, Anger, School, Violence, Loneliness, Suicide, Health Issues, Divorce, Pregnancy, Parents…no concern is off limits.
Can I get additional help for specific needs?
- Yes, referrals for services like support groups and counseling, plus assistance with basic needs, such as food and shelter, are available. Counselors are trained to work with callers to identify any additional services that may be required. Our counselors will provide you with referral information, such as an agency name, address, phone number, and location, in order for you to contact the agency and make arrangements for the additional services.
When can I call or text UTalk?
- UTalk is available every day of the year.
During the school year, our hours are from 3:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
In the summer, we are open from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
Does UTalk Youth Line offer any programs at schools?
- Yes, UTalk Youth Line offers numerous programs that are delivered in school classrooms.
UTalk Youth Line for Kids
What is UTalk Youth Line?
- UTalk Youth Line is a text enabled youth hotline available 7 days a week for children aged 6 – 18. UTalk Youth Line gives young people of Central Alabama a safe, supportive place to process feelings and life events – large and small – when faced with challenging issues and uncertainty.
What is the cost?
- It is FREE! But, if it’s long distance for you to call Birmingham, the phone company will charge you long distance fees. If you’re not sure, ask an adult before you call or text us!
When can I call?
- ANY day between 3:00 PM and 10:00 PM. If no one picks up, we might be really busy, so just try us again in a little while. We want to talk to you!!
What can we talk about?
- ANYTHING!! You don’t even have to have a problem to call us. You can just call to talk. We also love happy calls and good news, so share with us! If it’s important to you, it’s important to us. We may not have all the answers or solutions, but we are here to listen. Some examples of things to call about are:
- School Problems
- Peer Pressure
- Sad Things
- Scary Things
- A N Y T H I N G ! !
How often can I text or call?
Text or call as often as you want, but try to limit your calls to 2 or 3 times a day unless there is a serious problem or you are having homework difficulties– that way we can talk to everyone who tries to reach us.
Why would I want to text or call?
When you are faced with a problem or are upset or sad, talking about it helps. Sometimes it’s easier to talk to someone you don’t know and who can’t see you. We won’t take sides and we won’t laugh at you. We won’t tell others.
Who answers the texts and calls?
We’re all trained crisis counselors, which means we know how to help you with your problems– and we know how to LISTEN. We are volunteers, meaning we do this job for free – that’s how much we want to help you and hear what you have to say.
Who can I call if I have questions?
With the higher demand for the Centers's services, we have a need for additional conscientious and reliable volunteers.
The work of the Crisis Center is made possible through the generous contributions of caring individuals like you.